Sunday, April 20, 2008

Feynman on Yankee ACA Blog

Sorry for the lack of posts recently; I've been busy at work. Among other things at work, I have been more active in posting to my work blog (the Yankee ACA Blog). I even found a reason to put up three posts about Richard Feynman!

Surely You're Joking! (*)
More Feynman
What is science?

*Note the posting date—a little joke of my own.

There is one other recent post on the work blog that may be of personal interest:

This Milk Problem

The 1937 booklet described in this post is something that Pager gave me years ago. I have found it most interesting. The author of the booklet was Harry Varney, a well-known Vermont agricultural economist. Pager heard Mr. Varney speak a time or two.

Sometimes it helps to have a sense of history. When one thinks about the present in relation to the past, we often surprised in two ways: First, problems that we think are new (e.g., "this milk problem") are sometimes the same old problem that has existed for a long time. Second, things that we think have never changed may, in fact, have been greatly different in the past (e.g., the amount of open space in Vermont). The next post will discuss an example of the latter.

No comments: