After retiring in December 2016, this blog became my home for writing about travel adventures. Below is a summary of my 2017 posts here.
We started the year with brunch with family and friends followed by a snowshoe hike:
When Nancy and I retired, she had about 50 miles left to complete the Long Trail. We hiked those miles together, in four day hikes in July, August and September. I had fun both hiking and blogging about it, including interesting things we learned along the way:
- Long Trail to App Gap – a rugged hike, incl. a ladder
- Long Trail to US-4 – we hiked through Maine Junction
- The Inn at Long Trail – it's still there!
- The Breadloaf Wilderness – our longest hike, 17 miles
- The Proctor Family – benefactors of the Long Trail
- The Long Trail Lodge – alas, not there any more
- Who was Emily Proctor? – mystery solved!
- Nancy Finishes the Long Trail – photo above
I write on two blogs. This blog, The Switchel Traveler, is for travel adventures in the physical world. My other blog, The Switchel Philosopher, is for adventures in the world of ideas. See my About page for more information about switchel, me, my two blogs, and my blogging history.