Monday, May 15, 2017

Maggie's Farm Urban Hike


Nancy and I participated in the Third Annual Maggie's Farm Urban Hike on Sunday, May 7. It was a wonderful adventure! The hike was in midtown Manhattan from the Lincoln Center to Greenwich Village. Bird Dog of the Maggie's Farm blog has photos and details here:

A few pics from the 3rd Annual Maggie's Urban Hike, with great pizza, beer, and cupcakes

I have little to add to Bird Dog's account. Nancy and I were visiting Emily in New Haven that weekend. We took the train from New Haven to Grand Central Terminal and walked from there to the Lincoln Center for the start of the hike. At the end of the hike we were part of a subgroup that walked from Greenwich Village back to Grand Central Terminal, and Nancy and I took the train back to New Haven. My Fitbit registered 28,662 steps for the day.

That day was also the day of the Five Boro Bike Tour in New York. Below is a photo of bicyclists that Nancy and I saw on the Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue) on our walk from Grand Central Terminal to the Lincoln Center before the start of the hike:


I have only one photo from the hike of something not included in Bird Dog's excellent account – the smallest piece of private property in New York City, the Hess Triangle:


It was good weather for hiking, cool and overcast with no serious rain until the end of the day as we returned to Grand Central Terminal. The clock on the terminal in the photo below says 4:37 PM.


The photo at the top of this post is the World Trade Center from 6th Avenue and W 10th Street. That view brings to mind many thoughts, from September 11, 2001 to when I discovered blogs as a direct result of my first ever visit to New York City in April 2002. That story is here.

No comments: