Sunday, December 31, 2017

Blog Recap 2017


After retiring in December 2016, this blog became my home for writing about travel adventures. Below is a summary of my 2017 posts here.

We started the year with brunch with family and friends followed by a snowshoe hike:
In January and February we drove to Florida for a 3 week road trip. I wrote 21 posts about that trip, which you can find in:
After returning home, I blogged about three small adventures in late winter and early spring:
In May we had an adventure right at home!
Also in May we took a trip to Connecticut and New York City, with a stop in Massachusetts on the way home:
In May and June we took a 2 week road trip Nova Scotia by way of Maine and New Brunswick. We had a great time, but I didn't do well at blogging that trip. Only three posts:
Other places in Nova Scotia we visited: the Annapolis Valley, Wolfville (The Blomidon Inn), Grand-PrĂ© National Historic Site, Halifax, the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Ingonish (Keltic Lodge), Sydney, the Fortress of Louisbourg, Parrsboro (The Maple Inn), Cape D'Or. We saw a tidal bore in Truro – a first for me. We also spent a night in Moncton, New Brunswick, on the way home. It was a delightful trip.

When Nancy and I retired, she had about 50 miles left to complete the Long Trail. We hiked those miles together, in four day hikes in July, August and September. I had fun both hiking and blogging about it, including interesting things we learned along the way:
I finished the year with posts about three small adventures:
There were several travel adventures in 2017 that didn't get blogged: seeing the Tall Ships in Boston in June; an "escape room" on a different trip to Boston; Minute Man National Historic Park; hikes up Mount Mansfield, Snake Mountain and Laraway Mountain; numerous other small hikes; the Tunbridge World's Fair; two outings to Huntington River Vineyard for their Sunday Supper Dinner Series; a visit to Ayers Brook Goat Farm; a "Happily Ever After Party" in October on the coast of Maine (Kelly and Scott); and other trips to Maine to visit family. A pretty good year!

I write on two blogs. This blog, The Switchel Traveler, is for travel adventures in the physical world. My other blog, The Switchel Philosopher, is for adventures in the world of ideas. See my About page for more information about switchel, me, my two blogs, and my blogging history.

No comments: