Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Emily's 20th Birthday

Emily's 20th birthday was Friday the 13th. By request, Grandma Carpenter made a strawberry-rhubarb pie:

Brian gave Emily a Colby T-shirt with a moose on the back:

I don't remember all the presents, but there were quite a few, including luggage for the New Zealand trip.

I gave Emily a copy of Wuthering Heights. I am presently listening to a series of lectures titled History of World Literature. When Emily came home from college a few weeks ago, she brought some of her textbooks, including one that she liked but wasn't sure if anyone else would also like: the Epic of Gilgamesh. It happened that this was the first piece of world literature discussed in my course, and so I was interested in it. It is not long, and I read it on the trip to Brian's graduation. Good story. I had not read it before, or even heard of it before listening to this course.

At Brian's graduation, a young girl was sitting in the row in front of us reading another classic of world literature: Wuthering Heights. And shortly after that weekend, I got to the lecture in my course on that book. It seemed like a good book for Emily, to return the favor of lending me the Epic of Gilgamesh. And perhaps Nancy and I will have a chance to read it, too.

No comments: